Germany's most successful club, Bayern Munich travel to the Signal Iduna Park to take on current league leaders Borussia Dortmund in what seems to be a do-or-die game. This fixture certainly stands out as one of the must-watch games in Europe this midweek as both teams go into this match following tight wins on Good Friday.
The Bavarians, hot on the heels of Dortmund, will look to close in on the 3-point gap with the defending champions in a match that could prove to be a title decider with only 4 matchdays to follow. A win for the Borussians will put them 6 points clear and within graping reach of the title. A win for Bayern will not only put them level on points with Dortmund, but will also take them to first place by virtue of a better goal difference. A draw means the battle for the title will go down to the wire, though a two horse race.
Bayern have prevailed over the Black Yellows with 38 wins from 85 Bundesliga meetings but they have lost each of the last 3 games managing just one goal in reply to Dortmund's 6 in those games. At the Westfalenstadion, BVB have a slight upper hand with 13 wins to Bayern's 12.
- Bayern Munich were table toppers after 17 matchdays. The last time they failed to win the title after leading the pack at mid-season was in 1992-93. Since then, they have won all 7 seasons they have been mid-season toppers in.
- Borussia Dortmund are unbeaten in their last 23 Bundesliga matches.
- Bayern have kept a league-high 16 clean sheets this season. Only Manchester United and Juventus have more shut outs in Europe's top 5 leagues.
- The Black and Yellows have lost only 3 Bundesliga matches this season, the least in the division.
- Dortmund have failed to score in a league-low 3 matches this season. Only Manchester United (1) have failed to get on the scoresheet fewer times than BVB in Europe's top 5 leagues.
- The Bavarians have won 8 league games by at least a 3-goal margin this season. That is 20.5% of all Bundesliga games that have ended with a 3-goal margin for the winner.
- Bayern's top scorer Mario Gomez has 8 goals in his last 10 league games while his BVB counterpart Robert Lewandowski has 5 in his last 8. (Thanks to @LEENxVVAC for this stat)
- Mario Gotze (1 goal, 2 assists) has been responsible for 3 of Dortmund's last 4 goals against Bayern Munich.